What is cheilitis?
Cheilitis is the term used to describe inflamed lips.
Types of cheilitis
The lips can be inflamed because of an infection or skin condition:
- Angular cheilitis
- Granulomatous cheilitis
- Orofacial granulomatosis
- Crohn skin disease
- Actinic cheilitis
- Exfoliative cheilitis
- Lichenoid cheilitis
- Cutaneous lupus erythematosus
They may be inflamed because of an allergy, toxin, medication or injury.
- Eczematous cheilitis
- Allergic contact cheilitis
- Pigmented contact cheilitis
- Cheilitis in musicians
- Contact reactions to lipsticks and other lipcare products
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- Smoking and its effects on the skin
- Isotretinoin treatment
- Acitretin treatment
- Denture stomatitis
Nutritional deficiency can also lead to cheilitis.
- Iron deficiency
- Vitamin B deficiency
How is the diagnosis of cheilitis made?
What is the treatment for cheilitis?
Treatment of cheilitis depends on the cause. However, soothing emollient lip balms and sunscreens are usually recommended.